Sunday, March 22, 2009

Princess Tiana


I think it's not only great, but about time that Disney finally recognizes the importance of a black princess. Apparently her name is Tiana and she will be played by the voice of Anika Noni Rose (from Dream Girls) and her prince looks white. I don't know if he is supposed to be light-skinned, but he definitely does not look black.

On the one hand it promotes inter-racial relationships (although I am not completely gung-ho about those) but I think it's an important concept to put out there so people who are truly color blind don't feel pressure to stay within their own race and can be accepted in society. But inter-racial relationships are another topic that I will be adressing this week.

SNEAK PEEK:

The main issue I have with inter-racial relationships, specifically with Black men and white women is that these women are NOT color blind, and neither are the black men. To chose a white women because she's more submissive and whatnot shows that you see a difference, and therefore are not colorblind, and have a preference. Additionally, the Black men who usually are taken by white women are ones that by the grace of God made it out of not so great situations and or are doing very well and are successful men who have graduated college, possibly grad school etc. and have great jobs. There are not enough of these kinds of men to go around, so it hurts when we "lose" one to a white woman. But I'll elaborate later.


Back to the topic, I think it's slightly insulting not to let Princess Tiana have a black prince. I mean Princess Jasmine had an Arabian prince, so why not? We really need to uplift the black family and show that it does and can exist in America. Having a white prince gives off the sense that black princesses need white princes to truly be a princess and I don't agree with that in the slightest. We already had that with Brandy and Whitney Houstan's version of Cinderella. We don't need another one.
But yeah I really hope this won't be a stereotypical depiction of black women, but an inspiring one that young black children can look to and look like. It's about time.

No comments: